Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

Kevin reporting -

I write today with a bit of nostalgia in my mind and a bit of excitement and fear for our journey to Utah. After a year and a half stay at UF and settling into a nice house close to family we are off on a journey that will undoubted change our lives. The responsibility that I have been skirting for a long time can no longer be skirted. I am no longer a student or a post doc, temporary locations have been replaced by a purchased house and one of the most challenging full time jobs one can have (at least for 6 years).

The motto of an nontenured professor used to be "publish or perish", now that motto has been added to by "bring in money or perish" and "get good teaching evaluations or perish" and "publish in the right places or perish". With all that pressure in a month I have to say that I am quite anxious. If I can navigate the tenure process life don't get less busy but it does get less stressful. The prize at the end of the road is worth the journey... that's why we make it.

With this in mind Ann and I set off on the first leg of our journey that will take us to Charleston, Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Cheyenne, Ogden, and then to Logan.

No comments: